In 1956, Chengdu Institute of Radio Engineering (CIRE), the first electronic information institute of higher education in new China, was founded.
In 1960, Chengdu Institute of Radio Engineering was proclaimed, by the Higher Education Ministry of the State, as one of the country's National Key Institutes.
In 1988, Chengdu Institute of Radio Engineering was renamed University of Electronic Science and Technology of China.
In 1997, the University was included into “the State's Education Revival Project” for the top one hundred key universities (Project 211).
In 2000, the University was transferred to the MOE-university system, hence a national key university directly affiliated to the State's Ministry of Education.
In 2001, the University was admitted into the State's 'Project 985' for the top 34 universities in China.
In 2007, Qingshuihe Campus occupying an area of 4000-plus mu (219 hectors, or 540 acres) was put into use.
In 2017, the University was selected as one of "Double First-class" universities (Top 36).